We give this covenant and explain its meaning to every new member. We read it publicly on Church Covenant Sunday in January every year, the members standing to signify their assent. We expect the members to make a special effort to be present on that occasion, and if they cannot come, to send word of their continuing support.
The church is a fellowship of those who give themselves first to the Lord and then to one another (2 Corinthians 8:5). The church is the family of God’s people. We are brothers and sisters and belong to one another. A covenant of membership is an expression of acceptance and of commitment to the privileges and responsibilities that this entails.
Among the duties laid on us in the Scriptures are:
- We resolve to live a holy and godly life and will seek to obey all of God’s Word.
- We resolve to witness regularly, as the Lord gives opportunity, and will support the evangelistic outreach of the church.
- We resolve to regularly attend all the meetings of the church. We commit ourselves to the services on Sunday, the midweek prayer meeting and Bible Study. We believe that we ought to make special effort to attend the ordinances of the Lord’s Supper and Baptism.
- We resolve to do all in our power to foster a spirit of love and caring within the fellowship. We promise to regularly pray for one another and bear each other’s burdens. We will seek to avoid all causes of division and seek to live in harmony and “maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3).
- We resolve to commit ourselves to the principles of Biblical giving and to support the finances of the church and fellowship.
- We resolve that we will pray for and encourage the Spiritual leaders of the church and submit to their oversight as they submit to the Word of God. (Hebrews 13:17).
- Jireh Chapel
- Chapel Street, Orrell Road,
- Orrell, Wigan,
- WN5 0AG